Monday, October 19, 2009

On the Menu

One of my favorite dinner's is spaghetti and bread sticks. Here is my favorite spaghetti sauce from scratch... first though, have you ever wondered where the phrase "from scratch" came from? Well, I did and just looked it up. Click here to read about it's origins. You learn something new everyday!!

Now, on to the recipes...

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
From the kitchen of Vikki Barnett (I actually don't know this lady personally but she is a friend of my mom-in-law and came to my wedding shower. Everyone brought a recipe and an ingredient. This is the recipe she brought. Thank you Vikki!)

1 lb. ground beef
1 yellow onion diced
1 tsp. salt
1-2 cloves of garlic

Brown and drain above items. Then add:
3 small cans tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1 tsp. oregano leaves
1 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. hot pepper flakes
1 tsp. parsley
1 cup of water (I hold off the water unless I really need it. I like thicker sauce.)

Simmer ingredients, covered, for 1-2 hours (or as long as you can. The spices just need to meld together and season the sauce. I sometimes only have time to simmer it for 1/2 an hour. If you can do 1-2 hours, do it.) Serve over spaghetti and "oh what a night, what a beautiful night,..." (sung as you share a noodle with your dog... I mean loved one....got the movie?)

*I have made this sauce without meat in it as well. It's still good, but the beef gives it a little extra somethin'.

Breadsticks
From chef: Tori Howell (who got it from her mother, who received it from.....)

1 tbsp. yeast (I use SAF instant yeast because all you have to do is just add it. There's no waiting)
1 1/2 c. warm water
3 c. flour (only add enough flour for the dough to be soft but still a little sticky)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
melted butter
garlic salt
Parmesan cheese
Dissolve yeast in water (you don't have to wait for it to dissolve). Add to dry ingredients and knead well (if you have a Bosch mixer, you just run it on the fastest level for 8-10 minutes). Let rise for 20-30 minutes (if you have time and want fluffier bread sticks. Lately, I haven't had time and actually prefer a denser bread stick for lapping up all that fabulous sauce!) Pour melted butter on a cookie sheet (I use about 3-4 tablespoons but you'll have to see what you like) and roll dough on top of it. When I roll it, butter gets on top of the dough too. You do want butter on top as well so your garlic salt will stick AND because we can all use a little more delicious fat in our lives! Cut the dough into strips and cross ways down the middle. Sprinkle with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese. Let it rise to desired height and bake at 350 for 20 min. (I check mine after 15 because of the humidity).

No rinsing your plates tonight! That's the bread sticks job.

No comments: