Sunday, October 4, 2009

Dinner of the Day

Today, it being Conference Sunday, I made the main course from the book "Essential Mormon Celebrations" that they suggest for this Sunday. This cookbook is split up into holidays and seasons and gives you suggestions for an entire meal for that holiday/season. It's kind of a fun book.

So, here was our menu:

Missionary Chicken (Essential Mormon Celebrations)

8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
S and P to taste
2 (10.5 oz) cans cream of Chicken soup
2 c. sour cream
1 8 oz. bag grated Parmesan cheese
2 c. sliced, sauteed mushrooms (optional)
16 asparagus spears, crisp cooked (optional)

Arrange chicken in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. In a bowl, mix cream of chicken soup and sour cream together. Spread over chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Garnish with mushrooms and asparagus spears, if desired. Makes 8 servings. (I serve it with rice)

I've made it with and without the asparagus and mushrooms. Both ways are great although I think the asparagus gives a great flavor to it all. This is a really easy recipe which honestly, can magically make things taste a little bit better. :)

Jello of my own concoction
(Essential Mormon Celebrations suggested a Jell-o but since I didn't have what they suggested, I used what I did have, thus the title)

Make 1 box of Raspberry Jell-o as directed and add frozen (or thawed) sliced strawberries and mini marshmallows while still in liquid form. Refrigerate until desired texture.

Jell-o has been a staple side dish as of late. It has been on sale at Walgreens so I have many boxes. You can dress it up with fruit, whipped topping, nuts ... or you can dress it down by just eating it plain. Sometimes it's fun to substitute Sprite for the water part. Either way, it's a side dish your kids are sure to love.

What else:
I was going to steam broccoli (we LOVE fresh steamed broccoli) but my kids are still little and what I made already was going to fill them. So, it being Sunday, a day of rest, we kept it simple. Essential Mormon Celebrations suggested making Zucchini and a German Choc. Cake. I didn't have all those ingredients so I made a Pumpkin Crisp. It was good but I haven't decided if it's worthy to be one of my favorites.

Happy Conference!!

No comments: